Shiri Berg died January 5 2005, because of an Lidocaïne overdose, which she applied herself just before she had an appointment for hair removal laser treatment at a spa.
From my own experience, I can tell you, medical doctors usually cover each other, even when a serious mistake has been made. I am no expert on anesthesia, but in this case I do not understand what serious mistakes were made.
Lidocaïne-Tetracaïne is a standard drug to apply on the skin for laser treatment. It is odd how a medical board blames doctors in the media for having given these drugs to a patient. Yes, they should have examined her before prescribing medicines… Yes, they should have given her explanations about how to use it: but it still is a standard drug with hardly any side effects (risks), given to a student in biochemistry, who seeks treatment in hair removal. This combination of anesthetic is actually favorable because of its ease of use and mild side effects compared to other drugs. In fact, Lidocaïne is one of the most common anesthetics used for skin treatments. It should have gone okay.
Lidocaïne has a local effect and is usually not taken in by the body systems (only the skin). While the risk of further absorption of lidocaine is low, side effects of deeper absorptions include dizziness, drowsiness, muscle twitches, seizures, respiratory distress, loss of consciousness, and cardiac arrest. She is a biochemistry student. She could have realized, the gel likely was causing her feeling woozy. The advantage of a gel over creme is, that gel is more easy to take of the skin. She could have gotten rid of the gel. She did not. Somehow she was found with her legs covered in gel and plastics. When she is able to pull over the car, when she feels woozy, she is also able to take off most gel? Unfortunately.